There are a couple things you should know!
1. Voting for MEA elections ends MARCH 9TH! Please click HERE if you have not yet voted. (Please vote from home, not from school.)
2. The Kalamazoo Gazette filed a Freedom of Information request to all county/area schools. They are seeking the ten highest paid employees and the five highest paid teachers. Along with salary, they requested insurance and any other benefits included in total compensation. Parchment has complied with the request, sending job titles (not individual’s names) and the salary/benefit information. This information will undoubtedly be used in future news articles, but how the Gazette “spins” it will remain to be seen. One unintended bit of fallout already is that one teacher is among the ten highest paid — earning more than an administrator or two.
3. MEA President Iris Salters is giving a webcast (viewable at the local MEA office) on Wednesday, March 10 at 4:30. Her topic is the unrelenting attack on public school employees and the MEA’s plan for addressing the problem. One component of the plan is a rally in Lansing in June. (Hope it’s LATE June.)
4. No, I haven’t heard anything officially from the administration regarding snow-day makeup. Until I do, you should assume that students will have to come on June 17-18, and teachers on June 21.
5. The Partners in Education dinner, honoring Kevin Huff, is April 22nd. The deadline to get your tickets is April 12. The March newsletter includes a reservation form.